31 Aug 2012

#3 ONION CHUTNEY



I've been meaning to post this for a while but I just didn't get around taking pictures of it. if you've been following my blog you can probably guess where the inspiration for this came from. I had this amazing crêpe in Cardiff (if you haven't read the post yet, you should) with goat's cheese and loads of other good stuff. among them was onion chutney. 
and I just loved it.

I think chutneys are brilliant anyway. but I've never had an onion one before but it was just beautiful so of course I had to try and make it myself.
and it actually turned out really nice and it wasn't that difficult either. 

I know the picture looks all autumn-y and onions and apples always remind us of that time of the year aswell. and I'm sure you could use this chutney in a lovely dish for a cold autumn evening. 
but I'll show you a recipe that will keep the summer feeling alive for a little longer.
so keep checking for that.


Onion (Apple) Chutney

(for 3 small jars)

3 onions
3 yellow apples
3 TS balsamic vinegar
1 TS honey
1 packet of vanilla sugar
1 cinnamon stick
2 bayleafs
1 tbsp oil

peel and dice the onions and the apples. 
Heat up the oil in a pan (you’ll need something with a lid) 
and add the onions and apples 
along with the bayleafs and the cinnamon stick. 
Stir fry for about a minute then lower the temperature 
and put the lid on.
Leave for about 20-30 minutes.

Stir in the honey, balsamic vinegar 
and vanilla sugar and leave to simmer 
for approx. another 30 minutes.

After that you can leave the pieces 
of onion and apple like that or purée the mixture.

Spoon the hot/warm mixture into the hot/warm sterilised jars, 
turn upside down and leave to rest until they’re cooled down.
You can store the jars in the fridge or in a dark place. 

Don’t keep it for too long.


Magdalena.

P.S. I'll post a recipe for how you can use the chutney soon. so keep coming back.

No comments: