28 Aug 2012

#1 PEACH SUMMER CAKE





Yesterday was another summer day in Austria. I had to go outside to get some things in town and on my way I popped to the market and got some lovely peaches.

It was just one of those days when I feel like I want to try new things and spend the whole day in the kitchen with all the amazing food and the smell of it.
so when I got back home I went straight to the kitchen to make some summer-y dessert. 
I wanted to make a little summer cake with the peaches I'd bought, a simple dough with some cream cheese filling or something.
Well I ended up making something else, but even better. 
When I wanted to start making the dough I found out that we didn't have any butter. I never think about buying butter when I want to bake because I just always assume that we have some at home, but this time we didn't. but it turns out this was a good thing.
I was just too lazy and too comfortable in the kitchen to go out again just to buy butter, so I had a look on the internet if there's a way I could make a cake without butter.

now there's this magic ingredient everyone in Austria knows but I found that most people in other countries don't. it's called Topfen or Quark (more of a german word to be honest) and it's a little bit like cream cheese but less creamy and with a lot less fat.
so it's just perfect!

well the internet told me to use that instead of butter, but double the amount, so not 100 g of butter but 200 g of topfen. 

so I did that and just made a simple dough and some peaches, put that in the oven and it turned out to be one amazing summer cake.

using something like topfen instead of butter is a great way of making a cake fresh and lighter. and it's definitely great if you want to eat less fat but still enjoy baking and eating. just use that instead of butter and less sugar (which I did too) and you've got a perfect little cake for every summer day.



Peach Summer Cake
200 g Topfen/greek yogurt or 100 g Butter
150 g sugar
300 g flour
1 packet of baking powder
2 large eggs

lemon zest
vanilla sugar
1 peach



prepare a dough by beating together the topfen/butter
with the sugar and the egg yolks.
mix together the flour and the baking powder and
carefully mix it into the sugar mixture.
beat the eggwhites (make sure the whisker is clean!)
and carefully fold it into the dough.

grease the cake tin with a little bit of butter and
cover it with some sugar until coated.
arrange the peach slices (with or without skin)
on the bottom of the cake tin and pour in the dough

bake for about 40-50 minutes at around 180°C
until gold.
let it cool down for about an hour, put it on a plate
so the peaches are on top and carefully take
off the cake tin.






Magdalena.

P.S. if you liked this recipe. follow me on twitter @lullabyforpies for recipe updates!

2 comments:

Chef MiMi J said...

I'm going to try this, I love all things peaches. I just have to figure out the measurements in US terms. Also will this work with a can of peaches? They aren't any good peaches in season right now. I'll post pictures when I make this. MiMi J @ kitchensjoi.blogspot.com

Magdalena Hannah said...

looking forward to hearing how it went. and of course it'll work with a can of peaches that shouldn't be a problem. just don't add any sugar to them then because they're usually quite sweet already :) hoping to see the pictures soon :)