3 Sept 2013

#48 MEDITERRANEAN 'SHEPHERD'S PIE'

this is actually a recipe I 'created' a few weeks back, you can see it being mentioned here. I am sorry it took me a while to get around to posting it but that's what seems to happen with many recipes lately. however, I also thought it would be appropriate to post it now as I've just moved to the UK and this is most definitely inspired by the british cuisine. I have to say though, that I have only once before eaten an actual shepherd's pie made in a proper british way, so this version is really just what came to my mind when I thought I'd make a shepherd's pie.

now, I wouldn't know how to make an actual shepherd's pie, as I said, but this version is definitely incredibly easy as well as good for the summer as it's quite light and fresh. it's also really versatile, the day I made it, me and my mum had it as a main meal in the evening which was really nice, but I also decided to make some in little oven proof dishes to keep. these kept in the fridge for about two days and were great as a light dinner with a big salad. I also thought it would be lovely to serve them as a starter if you're having a proper meal, they're definitely not too heavy for it.


Mediterranean 'Shepherd's Pie'
for two normal size ones

250 g mince
4 carrots



start by boiling your potatoes until they're soft, this will depend on the size of the potatoes you're using but it'll take about 30 minutes. then, take the mince out of the fridge to bring it to room temperature.


then, take your carrots and onions and chop them finely to create little pieces.


heat up some oil in a pan, add carrots and onions first and then the mince, fry until the mince has browned, then add the stock and leave it to simmer over low temperature.



when the potatoes are done, peel them and mash them, then add the parmesan, butter and nutmeg and make a smooth mash.

preheat the oven to about 160°C


when the stock has reduced, take your oven proof dishes and fill them about half way with the mince mixture.


now, grate your courgette and finely chop your tomatoes, arrange them on top of the mince making sure to leave space for the mash.



finish it off with the parmesan mash, then you can put your shepherd's pies in the oven, they'll need about 15-20 minutes, be patient, they're better when you give them more time at a lower temperature.


once you've waited long enough, take them out of the oven and enjoy whatever way you want if it's as a main or a start, but be careful! HOT!


Magdalena.

1 comment:

Jennifer Leung said...

I love Shepherd's Pie! I really want to try this sometime! It looks really cute in the jar,


- Jenny (http://www.pennedbyjenny.co.uk/)